Kenyatta's Corner

This is a window into my world, my thoughts and ideas about love, life and pain. I have been writing poetry since the age of thirteen and I have used my poetry to help me with the joy and pain of life. I hope you enjoy sharing my life story.

Name:
Location: Los Gatos, California, United States

Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Shelf


I sat in the darkness for a moment
making sure this was the right move,
am I ready?

I turned on the light after reassuring
myself that the time had come.
I walked to the closet and
opened the heavy door.

A slight draft slipped through
the crack.

Things were strewn on the shelves
and clothes had no hangers.

At the top of the shelf
was a dusty ruby red box
with a silver ribbon.

I took it off the shelf
blew off the dust and
walked into the living room,
where I sat on the couch
next to you.

I opened it with some nervousness
this would be the night.
It is a special thing to share
so handle it with care.

That night, I took my heart off the shelf
and gave it to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home